St. Augustine Guild
The St. Augustine Guild was founded 50 years ago to support the mission of the Little Sisters of the Poor in Indianapolis. It all began when a group of women assisted the Sisters in moving the Residents from our Lockerbie Square location to a new facility at 2345 West 86th Street. Today, Guild members provide thousands of volunteer hours annually, making beds, helping in the kitchen, doing laundry, working on clerical tasks, visiting with the Residents, planning celebrations and parties for the Residents, and organizing successful fundraising events. As Little Sisters we continue to be astounded by the work of St. Augustine Guild. The Sisters, Residents and staff truly appreciate this wonderful gift!
At the Fall Luncheon Meeting on September 7, 2016, we unveiled the 50th Anniversary banner as part of the opening celebration of our anniversary year. We dedicate 2016-2017 to honoring and celebrating 50 years of Guild members supporting the mission of the Little Sisters of the Poor. The banner is in the lobby of the home to welcome and celebrate our members as they continue in their “Love Made Visible” efforts in numerous volunteer activities. Many wonderful projects are underway as part of our celebration and we are thankful for the following:
- Approval of and collaboration from the Indiana Historic Bureau (IHB) on the content of an historic marker to be posted in Lockerbie Square at the location of the first home
- The careful and thorough research by Guild member Beth Hansen and her successful partnership with the IHB. Beth’s research was also useful to the committee who prepared the 50th Anniversary Guild Brochure
- Iconographers George and Sergio Pinecross for allowing us to use their image of St. Jugan and two elderly people as a beautiful portrayal of the work of the Little Sisters of the Poor
- The Guild brochure committee for their ability to allow the brochure to take form with depth and breadth of understanding of the Guild’s work. The brochure represents 50 years of caring in a concise format while capturing the scope of the Guild’s contribution to the Sisters and home today
- David Reilich, who created the Guild 50th anniversary logo, designed the 50th anniversary brochure and prepared the Pinecross banner and brochure for publication, and to Guild member Dottie Everleigh for the guidance she provided to David
- Ward Degler’s original paintings of the archway and bell from the original home, the Sacred Heart statue and Home’s entrance, and a moving piece of St. Jugan and the first Resident, Anne Chevin. Mr. Degler’s paintings have been packaged as note cards selling for the benefit of the Little Sisters.
- The party has just begun! We will celebrate through 2017.
Please Join Us
The Guild Christmas Bazaar is on Friday, November 3 and Saturday, November 4! For more information click here>>
If you are interested in becoming a member of the St. Augustine Guild, please contact Ellen Jose, membership chair, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
View the video of the Historical Marker Dedication, May 20, 2017:
Stay up to date through the Guild Gazette, available below.
St. Augustine Guild Gazette, October 2017
St. Augustine Guild Gazette, June 2017
St. Augustine Guild Gazette, April 2017
St. Augustine Guild Gazette, February 2017
St. Augustine Guild Gazette, December 2016
St. Augustine Guild Gazette, October 2016