In the early 1870s, four Little Sisters of the Poor came to Indianapolis at the invitation of the Rev. Augustine Bessonies, Vicar General of the diocese and pastor of St. John’s Parish downtown. Father Bessonies rented two small houses for the Little Sisters near his church, and the Sisters took in six elderly guests within just a few days. That was the start of their generous work.
In 1873, the Little Sisters were able to purchase two and a half acres of land from the Sisters of Providence. On this land, at 500 East Vermont Street, the Sisters built their first home in Indianapolis and placed it under the patronage of St. Augustine.
By the early 1960s, the building could no longer meet the changing state code regulations. With support from the local church and community leaders, a campaign was begun to build a newer, more modern facility. In 1967, we moved to our current location at 2345 West 86th Street, on the southeast corner of 86th Street and Township Line Road. Our new Home was dedicated in 1968.
At St. Augustine Home we Little Sisters work with over 100 full and part-time staff members and more than 300 volunteers to provide a loving home for 96 needy elderly, offering a continuum of care through independent living apartments, assisted living, or total nursing care.
While most Residents are native Hoosiers, some have come from other states and even other countries. The majority of our Residents at St. Augustine Home are in their mid- to late-80s. While many are Roman Catholic, men and women of all faiths are welcomed to St. Augustine Home with open arms.